Rent Arrears and Debt Advice

Rent Arrears and Debt Advice

Support for energy bills and the cost of living

The Chancellor has announced support to protect households from rising energy bills. Millions of households will receive up to £350 to help with the cost of living, following the rise to the energy price cap. All domestic electricity customers will get £200 off their bills, and 80% of households will receive a £150 Council Tax rebate from April

Factsheets on the support available can be found on GOV.UK.

If you are struggling with debt, there are a number of organisations that provide professional help and advice. These independent advice agencies can provide unbiased advice at no cost. Please see details below.

Debt Advice

Citizens Advice – a network of charities that offers legal, money, consumer and other advice. Visit, call 03 444 111444,  or see someone in person at:

  • Norfolk Citizens Advice, Millennium Library, The Forum, Millennium Plain, Norwich,NR2 1TF
  • Norfolk Citizens Advice, 14 Middleton Street, Wymondham, NR18 0AD
  • Diss Citizens Advice, Shelfanger Road, Diss, IP22 4EH
  • Thetford Citizens Advice, Abbey Neighbourhood Centre, Exeter Way, Thetford, IP24 1EE
  • North East Suffolk Citizens Advice, 12 New Market, Beccles NR34 9HB
  • North East Suffolk Citizens Advice, 8 Chaucer Street, Bungay, NR35 1DT

Debtline – offers free, confidential and independent advice to help people deal with their debt problems and regain control of their finances.
Freephone: 0808 808 4000

StepChange Debt Charity – a national charity (formerly the Consumer Credit Counselling Service, or CCCS) that provides free debt advice. They can provide a debt management plan (DMP) free of charge.
Freephone: 0800 138 1111

Money Advice Service – helps people manage their money. They do this directly through their own free and impartial advice service. The Money Advice Service also works in partnership with other organisations to help people make the most of their money. They are an independent service, set up by government.
Freephone: 0800 138 7777

Rent arrears

To find out how much debt you owe:

  • You can contact your Housing Officer by calling us on 01508 532000
  • Check your rent statement by logging in to your account
  • If you are in arrears, you will receive a letter from us unless the debt is very small

What if I am having problems paying my rent?

If you are experiencing difficulties paying your rent, contact us immediately and we will:

  • Make an agreement with you to help you pay off your arrears at a manageable rate
  • Help you to get advice on debt counselling or money management
  • We can advise you on applying for housing benefit or universal credit

You may have other debts to pay but payment of rent should be your first priority.

What will happen if I don’t pay my rent?

We will:

  • Contact you to tell you that you are in arrears and what actions will take place
  • Monitor your account to ensure regular payments are received in future
  • Try to work with you to clear your debt. However, if your rent remains unpaid, and the debt does not reduce, we will commence legal action.

If your rent remains unpaid you could be at risk of losing your home.

Saffron Accreditation