Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions we get that aren’t covered elsewhere on the website. If you have a question that you have not been able to find an answer for, please call us on 01508 532000.

Can I have a water meter installed?

If you live alone you may wish to consider having a water meter fitted to reduce your water bills. You do not require our permission.

However, if you think you live in a property with a shared supply, please contact us.

Contact Anglian Water for more details 0845 8505852

I’ve locked myself out of my home? What do I do?

We have given you all the keys to your home. We do not hold any spares. If you need extra keys, you will need to have some cut.

If you lock yourself out or lose your keys, we can help you get back in. However, we will have to charge you for this, and for a new lock and any resulting damage. Please fit good quality locks to exterior doors. Remember that if you live in sheltered accommodation, your Scheme or Community Manager may need to gain access in an emergency.

A member of my family has died? What happens about the tenancy?

In the sad event of a death, please let us know as soon as possible. If there was a joint tenancy the tenancy will pass to the other tenant upon death.

If it was a sole tenancy but there is a close relative living in the home, the tenancy may be transferred to them. This is possible if the person in question was the spouse, partner or civil partner of the late tenant. It may also be passed to another person as long as they have been living there for the last twelve months and a previous succession of tenancy had not taken place.

Tenancies cannot always be taken over automatically and we may need to move the person taking over the tenancy to a smaller home. This will not happen if the person taking over  was the spouse, partner or civil partner of the late tenant.

If a tenant has died and the property will become empty, relatives need to end the tenancy as soon as possible.

Contact your Area Housing Officer who will be able to provide more information.

Do I need to have Home Contents Insurance?

You are responsible for insuring the contents of your home. We insure the structure of your home but not your personal goods. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, Saffron Housing Trust have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and  Ageas Insurance Limited who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

How do I get further information?

Ask your local neighbourhood officer for an application pack.

  • Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288
  • Alternatively, please visit the for more information or to request a call back.

The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at

Saffron Housing Trust suggests all tenants take out home contents insurance, either through this specialist scheme or by making your own arrangements.

What happens if I leave my home unoccupied?

If you do not live in your home you could lose your tenancy. However, we understand that you may need to stay away temporarily to go on holiday or look after relatives etc.

If you are going to be away from your home for more than four weeks, you should let your Area Housing Officer know. Where possible, you should provide us with a name and telephone number for someone we could contact in case we need to carry out emergency repairs at short notice.

If you intend to be away from home for two months or more, you should get our written permission first. To get written permission, you must have made arrangements for paying your rent in your absence. You must also advise the Council’s benefits section (if appropriate), ensure that a friend or relative is able to look after the home while you are away and advise us of the intended date of your return. If you do not advise us that you are going to be away, you may lose your rights under the Tenancy agreement.

Please also note that home contents insurance schemes do not generally cover loss or damage to your contents by theft, burst pipes and malicious damage if you leave your home unoccupied for more than 30 days. Other insurers will have similar exclusions.

I know it is possible for some tenants to have a lodger but am I allowed to do Airbnb providing it’s declared?

We would like any tenant considering this to contact us to discuss. Tenants are of course not able to sublet their homes

Saffron Accreditation