Universal Credit and Housing Benefit

Universal Credit and Housing Benefit

You may be entitled to benefits to help you pay your rent. Below are details of what these benefits are.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit which supports people who are out of work or on a low income. It replaces a number of benefits which include:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit will affect the way current benefits are paid.

  • The Department for Work and Pensions pays Universal Credit directly into your bank account
  • You’ll get one monthly payment for your whole household
  • Your payment will include any money you get to help with your rent
  • You’ll have to pay your landlord yourself
  • In some special circumstances Universal Credit can be paid directly to Saffron.

If you are struggling to meet your rent payments and claiming Universal Credit (or about to) please contact Saffron on 01508 532000.

To make a claim for Universal Credit, click here:


To make a rent payment click here.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you are not eligible to apply for Universal Credit.

It can be paid in addition to other benefits. You can choose to have this paid to Saffron Housing or to yourself. Local councils pay out Housing Benefit every four weeks (28 days).

If you have your Housing Benefit paid to Saffron, you will need to ensure that all your rent is covered if there is a shortfall.

To claim Housing Benefit please contact your local council.

Are you eligible?

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following is true:

  • you’re getting the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
  • you got or were entitled to the severe disability premium within the last month and are still eleigble for it
  • you’ve reached State Pension age
  • you live in temporary accommodation

If not, you will need to claim Universal Credit instead (see above).

Benefits calculator

You can use a benefits calculator to check if you can get Housing Benefit before you apply.

Change in circumstances

If you are receiving help to pay your rent and your circumstances change, you must notify Universal Credit or your local council immediately. This may affect the amount of money you receive.

Changes may include: change of address, income, rent or who lives with you.

To make a rent payment click here.


Saffron Accreditation